Tuesday, August 26, 2008

When I walked into the chemo room, I was struck at how Star-Trek it looked.

There were people hooked up to IVs sitting in two rows of Barcaloungers. It looked as if a substrata of society was being genetically changed into robot beings that were more stupid, more obedient, and more brutal.

I joined them.

A lot of time today was spent in conversation with the nurse and the pharmacist about what happens, the drug, and what the treatment is all about.

First the nurse tried to put the IV in the back of my hand. It hurt more than any I have ever had. Then I tensed, I did not know I did this, and it went bad. That one had to come out and she put another in the crook of my arm. This time it worked and it barely hurt.

First she connected a regular saline bag to the IV. Then she gave me two Benedryl tablets to take orally. Then two kinds of medicine to prevent side effects were given by...I don't know how to say this but it was like putting a shot into the line.

After a short time two bags of the medicine were hung up. I am getting Taxol, made from the bark of a fir tree, and carboplatin.

This was getting repetitive but they may have also given me two bags of medicine to prevent side effects.

Julia went back with me and was taking notes on all this. I had not realized how helpful this is until Julia and Ken did it for me.

I appreciate Julia going places with me. Spending three hours in that place didn't seem very pleasant but she said she would be watching television at home anyway.

The room has flat screen TVs on the wall. We watched Fox news. Also there is a big bookcase with all kinds of books there. some people spent the time talking on their cell phones. I am thinking of getting books on tape to listen to.

Afterwards we drove to Julia's house. She made me a turkey sandwich and I fell asleep on her couch.

When I woke up, I still wasn't very together. Julia drove me to WalMart to get the anti-nausea medicine. I also bought a few groceries. By the time we went back to her house I was feeling better and was able to drive home fine.

Now I am feeling very good.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?