<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, March 26, 2007

Julia and I went to two visitations tonight.

On Saturday when we were visiting Mother at the nursing home, the Moore boys, Ted and Jerry, were there. Ted is my old boy friend. Unfortunately, their mother was in her last hours. Besides knowing her through Ted, she was the nurse at Dr. Smith's office when I was growing up.

She died later and visitation was tonight.

Julia and I got there about 5 when visitation started. I finally met Ted's wife. She was very nice and,yes, I do admit that she looks like me but I also think that Ted looks a lot like George Rodney and acts like him. Jerry Moore was in Julia's class at Chester County High.

Then we went to Bell's for supper. I got a barbecue sandwich and Julia got a chicken sandwich.

James had called me today and told me that they had gotten a funeral notice for Mrs. Morton.
I called the funeral home in Lexington and the visitation was tonight.

Mrs. Morton lived in that shack of a rental house down by Cousin Pearl's. I don't know what Mr. Morton had but he never worked. Mrs. Morton worked like crazy.

Mother and I spent many days in the cotton field with Mrs. Morton, her son Guyron (that she always called Boy) and her two daughters Connie and Helen. Guyron was my age and the two girls were younger.

Guyron was very quiet in the fields. He never said so but I think he may have resented spending all that time with just females.

The girls were chatterboxes but I didn't pay much attention to them. Connie, like Mrs. Morton, seemed not quite there intelligency-wise. Helen was always beautiful.

Mrs. Morton worked with Mother on other occasions Once she was ironing for Mother at a time that Daddy was in bed with his bad back. Mother went to the garden for something and Mrs. Morton left because she could not be in a house alone with a man. (If you had ever seen dear Mrs. Morton, this would be even funnier.)

Guyron died maybe 20 years ago when he fell while working on something, maybe a water tower?

So after our supper, Julia and I went up to Lexington to the funeral home there.

As we were going in, Julia asked if I would recognize Connie and Helen. I said I would not but as soon as I walked in I recognized them. Connie immediately said Hello, Mary. I was shocked she knew who I was. But her recall of people and places from long ago was phenomenal. She asked about Sonja. She inquired after Uncle FL, Aunts Velma, Maureen, and Allene. She seemed very happy to see us and we enjoyed reminiscing about those times in the cotton field.

Helen was a different matter. She was dressed as if she had never spent a day in the field. And I don't think she wanted to be reminded of it. She said hello to us rather coldly and turned away.

Oh, well.

Connie introduced us to Guyron's children, a boy and a girl, now grown up

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?