<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, September 22, 2006

Short Book Reviews


Escape from Lucania; An Epic Story of Survival by David Roberts

Roberts is a mountain climber and that is what he writes about. This is the story of Brad Washburn and Bob Bates' first ascent in 1937 of Mount Lucania, located in the Canadian Yukon. It is a story of young men, their courage and foolhardiness, their foolishness and their ingenuity.

My rating: ***

Sixpence House: Lost in a Town of Books by Paul Collins

Paul Collins and his family go to live in Hay in Great Britain. It is a town of 1500 people and 40 bookstores selling mainly used and remaindered books. This book shows that every time you live abroad you don't need to write a book.

My rating: *

Godless: The Church of Liberalism by Ann Coulter

This book is so funny. I laughed out loud at times. Ann Coulter in print is much better than Ann Coulter on TV.

My rating: ****

The Paradox of Choice: Why More is Less by Barry Schwartz

There are too many choices in the marketplace and we would do better if we self limited. We should strive to buy things adequate to our needs rather than try to find the best. Thus, we will minimize regret.

This book has so many subplots. I learned so much. For example, he makes a strong argument that wealth doesn't buy happiness. I've always known that but realized that I have wanted it to be true. Wouldn't it be nice if happiness were on the shelf. It used to be. Clairol had a hair color product named Happiness. I have bought it. I mean, if Happiness is there on the shelf and you can afford it, why wouldn't you buy it.

My rating: *****

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?