<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, February 13, 2005

I fought the battle of Midway tonight. Well, actually I watched the movie Midway. If you have never seen it, watch out for it. I am not particularly fond of war movies but I enjoyed this one.

It was on the History Channel and is supposed to be generally accurate. I did not understand a lot of it. The strategies were beyond me. I needed George Rodney with me because he studies such things in ROTC.

I felt for the pilots. That is what I would like to have been but I don't know if I could have done it. The task required them not just to b e brave, but go beyond that to being rash, foolhardy, totally dedicated to the mission.

The European front of World War II is the vogue now and the Pacific front is forgotten. When I think of that area I think of the battle of the Coral Sea which saved Australia and New Zealand. When we visited Canberra, the capital of Australia, we were delighted to find the American monument, a commemoration of America's part in the Battle of the Coral Sea. We were there a few days after the anniversary of the battle and many wreaths were around the monument. They were from the people of Australia, the Returned Servicemen's Association of Australia, the American ambassador, the prime minister, etc.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?