<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, July 24, 2004

Electronic madness and ignorance

Everyone has some characteristic of which they are proud. Mine is my brain. I have always been smart. I can learn anything. But pride truly goeth before a fall in this case.

I need a new computer so I went to some big box store, I think it was Best Buy. I went in the front door, circled around the main aisle, and exited the front door.

If George Washington had done this, he would have been only a little more confused that I was. Some things I didn't have a clue what they were. Most things I recognized but had no idea why I need it. I found the computers but the descriptions were written in Klingon.

I retreated to Books-a-Million where I purchased books Buying a Computer for Dummies and CD and DVD Recording for Dummies. After my little visit to the electronic store, I thought the titles were appropriate.

Now I have a new vocabulary. I recognize Firewire, USB 2.0, SDRAM, DVD-ROM/CD-RW drive, and 48X/24/16X/48X max speed, but I am still not sure if I need them. I will probably buy some expensive computer and never use 90% of its capacity.

But I don't know if I can even bring myself to enter another store.

Frankly, I still don't understand such elementary things as DVDs and CDs. Which do I need to put my grandchildren's pictures on? Do I need RW or can I get away with just R? See, I didn't even know how to phrase that last question.

I see a computer course in my future. Jackson State Community College, here I come.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?